Monday, March 16, 2009

A little scare last week...

So, last week can be chalked up to be one of those scary mommy moments... Sadie has had a cough for a couple of weeks now, and by last Monday, she had been coughing about 3 days... Not a good and clear cough, but an icky, wet, loose, get stuck in her throat cough. So Monday morning was Staff Development for us, but I decided it would be a good day to take her to the doctor... So, I called and assumed they'd just tell me to ride it out... she had been running a low fever off and on for a couple of days, but nothing major. When I called them the nurse said to go ahead and bring her in... We got there, the doctor saw her, listened to her, said it sounded like she had some sort of fluid in her lungs. He said they were going to give her 2 breathing treatments and to pay attention, b/c I would be giving her breathing treatments when I took her home. I helped give her the breathing treatments, and she seemed to enjoy them...thought it was a new toy! THEN he said I needed to take her to the Radiology Associates office to take a chest Xray... THAT scared me. I wasn't for sure what they were going to be looking for...

I took her home after that, let her have lunch, then took her back up to get her Xray... she was so tuckered out from the doctor, she slept through the whole thing... which was great!! I got a phone call about 2 hours later saying that it was NOT pneumonia (WHICH HAD NOT EVEN CROSSED MY MIND!!!!). I thought they may say something about asthma... nothing. I asked her if it could be, she said they will not know until she's old enough to talk and tell us what she's feeling. But, if she has several flair ups in a 3 month period, that they may go ahead and diagnose it as asthma...but for now, they were calling it seasonal allergies...


TODAY - she's not coughing half as much, but we're still giving her breathing treatments every 4 hours. Her cough is getting to be a lot more dry sounding...and she seems to be getting back on schedule. I've been sleeping on the couch for a week, b/c she's been sleeping in her swing... she doesn't lay on her back well when she's got this crud...
She's been SUCH a trooper!!! We're super proud of her and how she's handling the breathing treatments...now I think she thinks it's a microphone and likes to talk into it and lick on it!!!
My happy little girl, being a trooper about her breathing treatment!!!
She's getting MUCH better...and once she stops coughing and it doesn't have ANY junk in it, we can stop the treatments. The machine is OUR'S...so if we feel as though she's getting it again, we can just pop out the machine... and away we go.

No comments: